WOW its been awhile, I am going to start redoing furniture and my house again! 2015 baby! I just had my 4th baby. A girl (well September 29th 2014) and I am ready to redo my home to feel like me and us again. So stayed tuned for some crazy stuff and normal stuff. :) Oh and I discovered I love makeup now. I turned 30 this year and yeah I need to take care of my health and my skin and all that :) See you soon!
P.S I discovered a new product! 3D fiber lashes (in a MASCARA) crazy! check out my lashes!
Monday, November 18, 2013
I found this settee at Goodwill and I have been dreaming about a settee like this for years. Seriously I wanted one in my bedroom because they are small enough but beautiful. So here is a picture of how I found her:
Close up the wood had a lot of dings in it and the weaved sides of the chairs were scratched up so I wouldn't have been able to restain it. So I made up my mind and came out with this:
My first real upholstery project and I think I love it!
Tutorial to come later.
Monday, November 11, 2013
My husband and I aquired this dresser. It wasn't much to look at when we started so I wanted to make it pretty again. First here is the maker:
Such a cute sticker. I was also happy to see it was dove tailed and on the back it says its Satin Wood
I started with this:
Yes the hardware was dangling off the drawers
I had to think about what to do with this dresser because of all the cosmetic damage.
So I decided I needed to paint the drawer fronts and the sides of the dresser
and that I would stain the other parts.
Do you see how deep the circles are from the hardware. Crazy. So I filled it all with wood filler:
Then I sanded the whole thing down. the finish was so old it came off pretty easily,
I didn't have to use the electric sander, just did it by hand.
There it is all sanded.
Then I taped off the parts that I didn't want painted and zinsser primed it with my wooser oil based paint brush. I took a 320 grit sand paper and sanded off any paint lines, drips and inconsistencies.
Then I sanded the wood filler off to make it as smooth and flat as possible (I used 320 grit here also) and Zinsser primed them. I chose a flat beige paint for my color. I used a flat paint because I like to put a finish on top of the paint for better durability. I used Minwax polycrylic water based polyurethane on top of it with a foam brush.
Then I stained it with dark walnut minwax, just one coat.
Then it was time to decide what to do about the hardware.
I thought about just replacing it but this size was a little hard to find.
If they were in better shape I would have left them in their original state
because I think they were originally beautiful:
However they were scratched up and crazy looking.
So I went with an aluminum colored spray paint.
I did this so the dresser can be used anywhere for anyone.
Here they are close up and attached
And here is the final product:
Some close ups of the little details in the wood
and the bottom
I like how it turned out!